15 Reasons Why Mini Donkeys Are The Dream Pet You’ve Never Met
1. Miniature donkeys are native to Northern Africa and the Mediterranean Islands of Sicily and Sardinia.
2. Mini donkeys were a distinct breed that was imported to the US in the 1920s.
3. Male mini donkeys are called “jacks” and females are “jennets.” Babies are called “foals” just like baby horses.
4. Mini donkeys only weigh about 15 to 29 pounds at birth.
5. Fully mature miniature donkeys are still quite small, averaging between 32 and 36 inches tall.
6. KneeHi, who holds the Guinness World Record for world’s shortest donkey. He’s only 25.29 inches tall.
7. Despite being small, miniature donkeys can be trained to work. At 3 years old they’re able to pull a cart or carry a pack.
8. They are kind, docile, lovable animals. When kept as pets, they’re known to be affectionate and loyal with humans and other animals!
9. On farms, a mini donkey may bond with sheep, protecting them against canine predators (foxes, coyotes and wild dogs) as it would one of its own.
10. If a mini donkey considers you a friend, they may bray, snort, and snuffle when they see you. You might also see some adorable faces.
11. They love children and seem to be extra careful and kind with them.
12. Donkeys are herd animals, which means they must have friends to keep them company.
13. They have ways of getting attention if they feel neglected!
14. Donkeys are stereotyped as “stubborn” animals, but it’s just because they’re cautious and have a good memory. If something frightened them in the past, they’ll remember it.
15. At the end of a hard day, petting and hugging a mini donkey may be just what you need.